the monster says, "did i really just say that?"

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Nationalism

Zach came by on his fixie and we walked to the store to buy me some cigarettes. I was wearing lazy-woman's jeans (saggy, holes in the butt) and the shopowner saw my tattoo, which is written in Arabic script.

He asked where I was from, because of my tattoo. I said, "Around here." So he asked where I got that word from.

I said, "It's from a book about a shepherd in Spain who sells his sheep because he has a dream that there is treasure in the Pyramids. Why, can you read it?"

"Yes. Maktab. Do you know what it means?"

"Maktub. Destiny or fate."

"No, it means 'office.'"

So, I asked him where he was from (I think my interpretation is only true among some Muslims, not the whole of the Arabic-speaking world). He said, "I'm from the oil." And I couldn't understand him, so I asked him to repeat himself. Then, I laughed and said, "I was looking for a country...?" He said, "I am Iraqi."

I said, "I hope you have a more positive view of your nationality when you aren't around Americans."

He confessed that he'd come here as a refugee ten years ago. He then said something very bitter which I couldn't understand. I said, "So, you don't support the war in Iraq?" in as droll a way as I could manage. He laughed bitterly and said no. I asked him if he was happy that Saddam Hussein was out of power. He said, "I'll tell you something. Saddam Hussein is still alive, and the men in my country are dying."

I wished him good care and left. I hope that ... we can fix what we've done.

5 Comments:

At 29/8/06 17:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I googled "Maktab", came up as "school". I googled "Maktub", came up as "it is written" or "destiny" as you said. Not that you couldn't have googled it yourself. Just thought I'd pass along my research. Teh.

 
At 29/8/06 17:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh--I also realize this wasn't the point of your story. I'm a bit OCD, so I latched on to that part.

 
At 29/8/06 17:58, Blogger christymonster said...

Thank you, anonymous fact-seeker! My tattoo is written in arabic, and I imagine a typo would be fairly simple, and I'd never know, since I don't read it myself. And, I'm OCD, too, so you're in good company.

 
At 30/8/06 11:59, Blogger The Old Stooge said...

Also, Iraq isn't a nation the way we think of it. It was thrown together tby the Brits back in the 50's, I think. So I would understand a lack of pride on his part.

 
At 30/8/06 21:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Maktub" Google find is very "Sufi" in many ways. This interpretation on the tatoo would be very flattering. The maktub/maktab spelling difference in you post confused me too... and I did the same search. It would be interesting to have you post a close-up digital photo of that tatoo... any chance?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home