the monster says, "did i really just say that?"

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Boystream

Hum, feeling very emo lately. There's lots of good stuff going on, though.

I'm transitioning out of my current job and into a different section (controls, whee!) I'm getting growing pains, though, figuring out electricals and trying to logic my way through controls in addition to my current job is a little much. And I've been getting shit on with revisions to do.

Last weekend, I went to a show with the guys from my old house. At the show, I saw my old TA from my favorite class at the U. I had so many hots for him at the time (mainly due to his gynormous brains), I couldn't resist going up to say hi. I walked up to him and two other people (sidenote: I'd heard that he was married and I didn't know if one of them was his wife), and said, "Hi!" He answered, his usual flatline, "Hello." I asked, "How are you?" He said, "Good," and went right back to talking about whatever he'd been talking about. I figured it was probably par for the course, and it was certainly possible (even likely) that I didn't make the same impression on him that he made on me, so I headed back to my friends.

Halfway through the show, he came over and chided me gently, saying I should have (could have?) come and talked to them. We talked and laughed through the rest of the show (not that I noticed after he came over to talk to me), and finally he left with the two people he'd been talking to earlier (she wasn't his wife, but his friend's). I turned to Josh and swooned. He encouraged me to ask for Mark's number (poor dear, how long will he wait in the wings?), so I ran down the stairs. I don't think he looked behind to see me, but somehow, his friends headed forward and he hung behind.

I said, "Umm, can I call you sometime?" and he answered, "Maybe?" I'm sure I must have looked dreadfully confused, and after a rather uncomfortable look from him, he said, "Well, I'm interested, but I'm going through a divorce, isn't that sort of a turn-off?" I felt immediately guilty for daring to feel rejected, and said, "Oh, I'm so sorry!" I thought about it a minute more, and said, "Well... Maybe we could start as friends, and see where it goes from there."

We exchanged numbers, and he complimented me on mine ("that's a cool number" heh, nerds are awesome), calling me a smart girl (eep! eep! dinosaur ta called me smart!). I called him two days later (two days now past), and he hasn't called back. I'm doing my best not to be too disappointed. Truthfully, he's not really even a human in my mind, the same way that Jonny wasn't (sorry, reference new readers won't get). Having such unrealistic expectations of him probably wouldn't work for either of us.

I'm the sort of person who can't leave well enough alone, but since I barely managed to call him in the first place (I sat there for 5 minutes with my thumb on the "send" button, saying to myself, "come on, christy, you can do it."), and then I left a voicemail talking about laundry (LAUNDRY!), I don't think I'll call him again.

This is the email I've been refining in my head the last two days:

Subject line: Being Introverted

...means taking two days to realise that what I should have said was, "Not as much of a turn off as still being married!" I'm doing my best not to read into the lack of response, since you probably just decided you weren't quite ready to move on from your marriage yet. I haven't experienced it, but I'm sure it's quite difficult. Just so you know, the explanation gets easier with time. Never been divorced, but have had some skeletons of my own over the years. Please call if you change your mind, but make it sooner than later, I can't make promises, though I wish I could.

I wish you all the best and it was really wonderful seeing you last weekend.

Christy

* * *

Hope your halloween was excellent.

1 Comments:

At 2/11/06 07:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been through the divorce thing, the only thing I'm going to say is that if you push him now, you will lose. He knows your interested. Give him space. Divorce is tough enough and trying to set timetables from the outside isn't going to make you look better, just despirate. To a divorcee in progress, that means run. If he likes you (and it seems that he does) He'll call you when the time is right. Give him space. He'll remember. I promise...
Ron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home